[Savannah-help-public] [gnu.org #767320] delays in updating web pages

From: Ward Vandewege via RT
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [gnu.org #767320] delays in updating web pages
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:48:18 -0400

Hi Ineiev and Savannah hackers,

> address@hidden - Tue Sep 11 00:44:50 2012]:
> > Savannah hackers; can you confirm that the new.py call is done
> *after*
> > the cvs commit has successfully completed?
>
> I think there may be another possibility: "can you confirm  that the
> new.py
> call is *(successfully) done* after the cvs commit has successfully
> completed?"

And that was indeed the problem. The script did not always reliably
complete.

I've now modified the new.py script in the following way

a) it returns immediately and requests a cvs update of the type
specified, for the project specified, rather than doing the update right
then and there.

b) requested cvs updates are now done by means of a cron job. This cron
job runs every 2 minutes.

Keep in mind that some checkouts (the one for www, notably) are quite
slow, so it make take up to 5 minutes after the new.py call for the
gnu.org website to be updated.

Please let us know if you see any more problems with new.py.

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege | CTO, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 25F774AB | http://identi.ca/cure | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS