[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106581] doing something about stale jobs?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106581] doing something about stale jobs?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:17:11 +0000

Hi Brandon -- thanks for jumping in with this.

I completely agree with 1) and 2), but (despite what I wrote originally :) why
delete old postings, any more than there is to delete old bug reports?  After
all, it's not unlikely that the same need will recur after a volunteer leaves
a project.  As long as a posting is closed, it wouldn't be normally visible,
so it seems harmless.

Also, I'm not sure about "forcing" people to change the text.  For example, I
have two jobs open for Texinfo that are just about to hit a one-year mark.
They are still open, but there is nothing to change about the text.  I guess I
could do some meaningless tweak just to update the date, but if a maintainer
chooses not to do that, I don't think it would be right to just arbitrarily
close it.

In general, if a maintainer says a job is still open, I don't think it's our
place to close it, regardless of whether the text is updated.

Thus, my proposal would be less hard-line:
- if a posting is open and >1 year old, contact maintainer.
- if maintainer says it's old, fine, we or they can close.
- if maintainer says it's still valid, fine, leave it open (and strongly
recommend they update the text as needed).
- if maintainer does not reply, give them a while, try again (maybe from
another email account, given the realities of spam filters) and say "we will
close this soon if we don't hear from you", and so that in another week or
two.

wdyt?

thanks again,

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106581>