Re: [Savannah-help-public] What version of bzr is on Savannah?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] What version of bzr is on Savannah?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:55:49 +0100

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 02:29:36PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Can't someone build and install bzr 2.2.2 from source?
> Is that difficult to do?

It will take time to reinstall it exactly as it is packaged now, and
we'll have to manually check for updates (while currently we rely on
Debian for that - especially security updates).

More generally installing a piece of software manually is a sysadmin
overhead and a security hazard that we use only when there is a strong
reason - and time.

Unlike with the sftp:// issue, I don't think it is important to
upgrade to the latest version of bzr at the moment.  I may be wrong.

I understand that desktop users are not necessarily familiar with this
maintenance workflow, that is less responsive, but more reliable.
It's applied to all Savannah.

--
Sylvain