[Savannah-help-public] Interested in starting a "Web OS API" working gro

From: Gideon Lee
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Interested in starting a "Web OS API" working group
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 01:49:38 -0400

Dear friends at GNU and FSF,

My name is Gideon Lee and I run a startup named OpenSpot based in Cambridge, MA.  Our team has been working on an open source project called SameDesk, a desktop-like multi-windowing environment for the web, allowing multiple web applications working more seamlessly together for the users.  Based on our limited observation, there are about a dozen or so similar projects or sites on the web. Some are open source like ours. Others are free sites but use GPL software internally. Some prefer to call it Web OS. Others call it Web Top or Web Destkop.  We speak of SameDesk as a "common workspace for web applications."  All these environments can be seen as desktop OS for the web.  In fact, it seems that the better designed ones all resemble POSIX in the core and X-Window in the GUI, even though the API is _javascript_-adapted.  From the perspective of someone with less hair like me who still remembered the VAX days of Project Athena, it is both a dega vu and exciting new time.

Recently, we started discussing with a few other more promising teams about making a common API so that developers can write portable applications that run across multiple such Web OS environments.  YouOS and ORCA (links at the end) are already onboard.  A number of others are also interested, even though they haven't made a decision.  The need of such common API is very much driven by developer demand.  Nobody wants to be locked in by a single vendor, no less because the teams creating these "OS" are so small.  And standardization makes perfect sense for end users.

So the reason I am writing GNU/FSF is to ask if your organizations will be interested in helping out with such a nascent and grassroot common "Web OS API" effort. Specifically, we are looking for a neutral, non-profit, and well-trusted organization to serve as the intellectual property right owner for the common specifications that this effort produces. The product of this effort will not be actual implementations, but rather, open API specifications.  Even though it seems unlikely, there may well be implicit patent claims.  To avoid problems down the road that could handicap the openness of the specification, we feel that the language and philosophy embodied by GPL 3 probably provides the best protection for every team involved.  So GNU/FSF most naturally will be a good custodian of the common effort.

We are aware of other industrial consortiums that are more dedicated to open standardization.  However, as I just explained, the intellectual property policy they run on might not be able to truly protect the openness of our envisioned specification.  Moreover, since the teams involved in this effort are very tiny today, "big boy" oriented organizations like W3C or Open Group are simply not viable forums for us yet.

We understand that it takes quite a bit of resource and planning to host a working group effort.   And it is a very busy time for you because of the GPL 3 process.  However, web OS environments and so-called AJAX applications are clearly emerging as the next signifanct battleground between truly free open source software on side side and proprietary so-called-"free" adware on the other.  In my personal humble opinion, it may well be in GNU/FSF interests to assume a leadership role sooner rather than later.  Furthermore, speaking for all the teams, we feel that even in the latest GPL 3 draft, the legal minefield of mixing proprietary and open source *script* code has still not been clear out.  Unlike compiled language environment, the notion of linkage doesn't really apply.  For example, if a script-based Web OS is GPLed, does it mean the script-based applications need to be, too? It is one thing when script programs are banner ads.  But as we start to see complete windowing systems and office suites developed using _javascript_, the ambiguity can be very confusing.  We believe that discussion coming out from this effort may well help begin to address this gray area.

Since I am local, I'd be more than happy to come by and explain our vision in details, or even do a little bit of demos beyond what is already online.  Here are links to some of the teams in discussion:

SameDesk (my team)
YouOS
Orca
http://www.orcaa.com/hosted/orcaa.com/
Other teams considering include:
EyeOS (http://eyeos.org/), Xin (http://www.xinteleport.com/), and a few others

Let me apologize for sending this to both address@hidden and address@hidden. I don't mean to spam; I am just not sure which way my query should go.  But I truly hope this is something that GNU/FSF can lend us some help.  Thank you for your kind attention.

Sincerely,

Gideon Lee
OpenSpot, LLC
781-883-8309