[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of SQL Database Client - savannah.nong

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of SQL Database Client - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:51:15 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden said:

> peter Gostelow <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: SQL Database Client
> System name: sdc
> Type: non-GNU

> Database client that handles database management tasks. It connects to SQL
> database servers using customised (3rd party) device driver plugins.
>
> A Database Administrator can do the following:
>
> 1- Manage User Authorisation (create, edit, drop etc.).
>
> 2- Create database templates.
>
> 3- Create new databases using the default or customised templates.
>
> 4- Examine server performance statistics.
>
> 5- Set server options.
>
> 6- All the Database User functions.
>
> NOTE: Backup and Restore (BAR) are arguably a system task and therefore
> unsupported.
>
> A Database User can do the following (with permissions):
>
> 1- Create and Drop databases.
>
> 2- Populate a database with tables, forms, views, etc.
>
> 3- Write server rules, scripts, triggers.
>
> 4- Import/Export data in several formats (delimited and structured).
>
> 5- Print reports.
>
> 6- Transfer data to other clients via p2p.
>
> 7- Copy tables from one server to another (either between two PostgreSQL
> servers, or mySQL and PostgreSQL).
>
> 8- Develop accounting, project, and similar applications.
>
> The client provides a GUI representation for SQL commands and the plugin
> driver converts the data into a valid SQL query, then converts the result
> back into an acceptable format, and returns the data when needed.
>
> Since the device driver handles the SQL queries itself, it is customised to a
> specific server (e.g. mySQL, ODCB etc.). Because it is a plugin, several
> device drivers can be loaded simultaneously, allowing the user access to
> different database systems.
>
> The application uses the X11 free edition Qt library and QSA scripting
> language.
>
> The plugin driver uses PostgreSQL libpq.
>
> Documentation is generated using doxygen (erm, without dot support).
>
> The usual Qt tools to install: qmake, moc, uic etc.
>
> SOURCE URL: none :(
>
> Alpha source (about 60 kb .tgz) is available on request via email or any
> recommended ftp upload.

Can you send it to me,

> Other Software Required:
> The only potential problem are the plugins because they must link to specific
> database libraries. It's possible to load an Oracle plugin (for example) that
> was compiled against a proprietary library. It must, however, be compiled
> using Qt and I think TrollTech has its own rules about mixing its free and
> proprietary packages.
>
> The project only provides a PostgreSQL plugin as a sample and will only
> consider plugin contributions that link against non-proprietary libraries.

That's ok.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |