[Savannah-hackers] Re: Hosted Projects List is not clear

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Hosted Projects List is not clear
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:47:36 -0400

(Leaving rms off the cc since he has other things to worry about. :)

    probably because nobody think it was an important one before.

Sure. The reason I thought of it is because of my work in the GNU
evaluators group, which helps rms evaluate new software that has been
submitted to GNU.  One of the important questions we try to answer is
whether there are other related GNU and other free software packages.
Thus, a complete-as-possible list of GNU packages is useful.

    On the savannah frontpage, there is a box called "savannah statistics"

Aha, thanks.  That is good.

    It is not a big deal to find new idea to improve this project tool if
    you feel it is necessary.

Is there a way to get a complete list of search results, instead of
having to page through them?  This would be the most helpful thing to
add.  It often takes many searches, and it'd be a lot faster and easier
to just get the list once and then do text searches on it.

A more minor help would be to sort the output alphabetically, instead of
randomly.  As a human, it's a lot easier to keep track that way.

If these aren't out of the question, I'll submit a bug for them.  They
obviously aren't critical or anything :).

    More generally, if something bothers you in Savannah, the better way

Right, thanks.  I asked rms because it was a general question about GNU,
I wasn't especially bothered by anything in savannah specifically.

It "would be nice" if the savannah list of GNU projects and the Free
Software Directory list of GNU projects got compared/synced somehow.
Pipe dream, I'm sure ...

Thanks,
karl