[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of SVM - savannah.gnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of SVM - savannah.gnu.org
Date: 14 Oct 2003 19:02:34 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden said:

> A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org
>
> Thomas Huining Feng <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: SVM
> System name: svm
> Type: GNU

> SVM (Statechart Virtual Machine) is a tool to interpret and simulate models
> (written in a textural format) of an extended statechart formalism. It is
> programmed in Python and Jython and aimed to facilitate software design with
> UML formalisms. It supports real-time, scaled-time and virtual time
> simulation, either on a single machine or distributedly (by PVM). Other tools
> are also included in this project, such as statechart checker (which checks
> statechart models with sequence diagrams, class diagrams and so on), output
> verifier (which verifies the output trace with initial requirements), and so
> on.
>
> SCC is another important part of this project, which compiles statecharts
> into (very efficient) Java code. The execution result of the generated Java
> code is exactly the same as the simulation result from the SVM interpreter.
> Hence, this project covers the following phases in software engineering:
> model design, checking, simulation, verification and code generation.
>
> For more information and source code, please point to:
> http://msdl.cs.mcgill.ca/people/tfeng/?research=svm

The headers of your files looks like

#############################################################################
# Copyright (C) DSTC Pty Ltd (ACN 052 372 577) 1997, 1998
# All Rights Reserved.
#
# The software contained on this media is the property of the DSTC Pty
# Ltd.  Use of this software is strictly in accordance with the
# license agreement in the accompanying LICENSE.HTML file.  If your
# distribution of this software does not contain a LICENSE.HTML file
# then you have no rights to use this software in any manner and
# should contact DSTC at the address below to determine an appropriate
# licensing arrangement.
#
#      DSTC Pty Ltd
#      Level 7, GP South
#      Staff House Road
#      University of Queensland
#      St Lucia, 4072
#      Australia
#      Tel: +61 7 3365 4310
#      Fax: +61 7 3365 4311
#      Email: address@hidden
#
# This software is being provided "AS IS" without warranty of any
# kind.  In no event shall DSTC Pty Ltd be liable for damage of any
# kind arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of
# this software.

I think that this policy is incompatible with the GPL. While a copy of
a GPLed software should be distributed along the with the GPL text, it
should not stop to be GPLed if this copy is forgotten, and the
licensing policy should not force someone to ship the copy of the
license under a name you chose (LICENSE.HTML).

To release your project under the GPL, you should put
copyright notices and copying permission statements
at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt).
Put it in a file named COPYING.

Please follow the advice of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explain the reason behind these recommendations.  For
example, there is an entry explaining why the GPL requires including a
copy of the GPL with every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

Please register your project once more with the changes mentioned
above.  The way we handle pending projects makes it difficult to keep
track of projects that have been answered but have not been approved
yet, so we erase them and we ask you to register the project again every
time some change has to be done to the registration, and users might
have to register their projects several times.  Thank you for your
understanding.

Some users find it useful to use the big re-registration URL provided in
the acknowledgment e-mail you received after registration.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: