Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PythonLive: Educators Edition - sav

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PythonLive: Educators Edition - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:29:00 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:43:58PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> Arthur Siegel <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: PythonLive: Educators Edition
> System name: pylive-edu
> Type: non-GNU

> I would like to establish a project to produce a live bootable CD, based on
> Knoppix, geared toward folks interested in the use of Python as an
> educational tool. The intent is a "Teachers Edition" firstly.  In other
> words, organized for and directed toward educators - at all levels - seeking
> to familiarize themselves with Python related resources related to
> educational goals.
>

> The intent is to remove some of the software provided in the standard Knoppix
> distro - OpenOffice, for example - to make room for a number of Python
> "infrastructure" libraries not included in the standard Python distribution.
> These would include Numeric, PyopenGL, pygame, wxPython, VPython.
>

> This will then allow the inclusion of versions of a number of educational
> software applications, tutorials, free books, etc. that may have some
> dependency on one or more of these add-on Python modules.
>

> The goal is to provide an easy way for those exploring - rather than
> committed to - the use of Linux, Python and other free and opensource
> resources - to taste and sample the possbilities. Without partitioning,
> learning to build software, etc and etc.

"Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

> The intent is to organize a simplified menu system that would help educators
> locate and demo resources - by purpose (treaching programming or mathematics
> or science, etc) - and by likely grade level/ age level/ experience level.
>

> The intent  - obviously - is that only free and open source projects will be
> included in the  distribution.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty
close to Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more
information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

> There is no URL to list other than that of my own Python project - PyGeo -
> which would be one of a number of resources to be included in the live CD.
>

> http://pw1.netcom.com/~ajs/
>
> Other Software Required:
> Other than some widely used Python add-on modules - Numeric, pygame,
> pyopengl,VPython, wxPython (and perhaps others of the same "ilk") - none.
>
> Other Comments:
> Some basdkground discussion leading up to this request can be found in recent
> archives of the "edu-sig" group hosted at python.org

Sorry but we can not accept your project because we do not host full
operating systems.  We do not have the resources to host these kind of
projects.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,