Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of libHID - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Arnaud Quette
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of libHID - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:42:06 +0200

Rudy Gevaert wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:11:52PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

Arnaud Quette <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: Package: libHID
System name: libhid
Type: non-GNU

libHID - a portable HID API

libHID is a GPL project that aims to provide a layer of abstraction for
accessing HID-class [1] devices over USB or serial lines (similar to what
libusb [2] provides for the base USB protocol).

libHID will initially provide a \\\"Generic HID Access\\\", using the MGE HID
parser [3], for all platforms supported by libusb, that is to say:

   * GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin and MacOS X

libHID will also provide \\\"Native HID Access\\\" for:

   * GNU/Linux using kernel 2.4.22/2.6 and above with the new hiddev driver,

   * Mac OS X using the HID Manager.

Later versions will maybe provide \\\"Native HID Access\\\" for:

   * GNU/Linux kernel v2.4 with the old hiddev driver,

   * Win32 (Windows 98 SE and later).

The project is not currently functional, but the various needed layers are already
written (currently embedded in NUT patch ; patches soon available). The
\\\"code\\\" available from the homepage [4] is more a set of ideas for the
API, and doesn\\\'t reflect the final code...

For more information, please have a look at libHID\\\'s current homepage [4].

[1] http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage

[2] http://libusb.sourceforge.net

[3] http://www.mgeups.com/opensource/projects/hidparser.htm

[4] http://www.ghz.cc/~clepple/libHID/doc/html/index.html

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy
statements at the beginning of every file of source code.

In addition, if you haven't already, please copy a copy of the plain
text version of the GPL, available from
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt), into a file named "COPYING".

Hi Rudy,
thanks for your mail.

As stated in my previous answer to Mathieu Roy:

What I should have also told is that I'm already familiar
with GPL projects (as author or member of several...)...
Once again, the current state of the CVS tree and files
content does only reflect the main coding ideas I've
in mind.

There are hosts of things left to be done for libHID to
be released to the public, and as always, I'll do it in
the GNU spirit. Please refer to my other projects
to see some practical results.

I've added COPYING to the current libHID CVS,
but the GPL headers are already present in all
"real" files (ie not those that are empty). The
only thing is that  doxygen rip those headers
before exposing those on the website...

Lastly, all of this is now updated on the current
libHID webpage, and I've re registered the
project.

Meanwhile, libhid as been approved.
Ahem, looking back at the project page,
it has been de approved and I've lost
the things I've done meanwhile (list,
descriptions, homepage link, ...).

Please, restore it. All you asked for has
been done! Check back the hackers list...

Thanks again for your help,
Best regards,

Arnaud
---
Debian Developer
OpenSource Developer:
- Network UPS Tools Core member: http://www.exploits.org/nut/
- Author of WMNut, Walnut, FUpgrade: http://{wmnut,walnut,fupgrade}.tuxfamily.org
- Contributor to Linux (the kernel), Stratagus, XawDecode, ...
OpenSource Evangelist (French LUG Guilde, MGE UPS SYSTEMS, ...)