Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: gnuorg summary

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: gnuorg summary
Date: 12 Mar 2001 22:01:36 -0500

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> writes:

> Loic Dachary <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >        Could someone please summarize the conclusions of the thread on
> > gnuorg ? My personal feeling is that only the .texinfo files should be
> > on CVS, not readable anonymously and formated on gnudist nightly, pretty
> > much as it is the case now.
> >
> >        If nobody has time or is willing to summarize I'll read the whole
> > thread.
>

> A quick summary:
>
>   * we basically decided that it was reasonable to put all of gnuorg in
>     CVS.  (Loic, I'd be curious to hear your reasons that you don't think
>     so)?
>
>   * everyone is ok with "gnuorg in CVS" *not* being readable by anoncvs once
>     it was discussed.  People who need write access will just ask me for
>     access.
>
>   * "gnuorg in CVS" must be auto-checked out from CVS into fp:/gd/gnuorg
>
>   * Everyone agrees that gnuorg needs to be reorganized, but no one has
>     time.
>
> Other issues (important but not discussed and/or decided yet):
>

>   * "gnuorg in CVS" needs the ".symlink" solution for it too---there are
>     important symlinks there that people expect.
>
>   * We need a good solution for handling the Makefiles.  I proposed one but
>     wasn't sure it'd work without fail.  (simply .cvsignore any derived
>     files the Makefile generates in /gd/gnuorg
>
>   * "gnuorg in CVS" is likely a different project than gnudocs; however,
>     there are some things that should be migrated there.  I propose we
>     create a new project for "gnuorg" but move some files (like
>     standards.texi and maintain.texi) into gnudocs and leave gnudocs
>     anonymous-CVS-readable.
>
>   * Is it reasonable to import /gd/gnuorg into "gnuorg in CVS" and wait for
>     a reorg until later?  I propose the only reorg that'd be done now would
>     be to move standards.texi, maintain.texi, and a few other public-ish
>     files to gnudocs.  The rest would wait, and would need to be done in CVS
>     later.  How does that sound?

You missed my proposal:

  Do the re-organizing "on-the-go":

    Create one generic module, then create directory by directory and
    add them to CVS one by one as we go in the re-organization.

Example:

  Create the module: `gnuorg' (or whatever name)
  Create the directory `gvc'
  Add the file "volunteers" to this directory and to CVS.
  Add other volunteers-related files to this directory and to CVS.
  Choose another directory and repeat.

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso