[Savannah-hackers] Re: A request for the website on behalf of the GNU pr

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: A request for the website on behalf of the GNU project
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 19:24:01 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

>   RMS seemed miffed [about suggesting we have sourceforge-like system],

This might have been a confusion.  RMS has long wanted to get a
sourceforge-like site on our servers---we just needed someone to spend the
time to do it.  Loic finally did it for us.

> and so I read your news with some delight.

Great!  I hope you can migrate there.

> > You might be interested in migrating there.  Let me know if you are
> > interested.

> Right now, I am happy as a clam with my current setup.

:(  That's too bad.  It'd be cool if GNUcash was now hosted.

> With two exceptions:
> 1) I wish I could *easily* create fault-tolerant web sites.  So that
>    next time my network card dies, DNS automatically switches to a
>    mirror.

Our servers are hosted by VA Linux in their server room, so this we likely
not be a problem.

> 2) Surveys. I want to create a user survey ('what new features..etc.)  I
> think I finally found some good s/w for that, but its sql-backended and
> I'm paranoid about administering the security aspects of that.  Thus, if
> fsf provided that, I might actually realy really consider it.

Perhaps you could work with Loic and the other savannah-hackers to get this
software set up on savannah.  Perhaps they could check the security issues,
too?

savannah-hackers: are you willing?

> In general, if fsf focused on somehow even going beyond sourceforge
> capabilites ...

I think this is something we'd like to do.  Do you have suggestions?

> FSF might also focus on advertising these features to new projects.
> Because once one has an adequate solution, one has little incentive to
> migrate.

We plan to do so.