[Savannah-hackers] Re: exim question

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: exim question
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:40:46 -0500

    My concern was that mail sent *locally to subversions* to a user was
   properly redirected (to the mail address registered in Savannah). Now
   that the Savannah backend scripts update the /etc/aliases file daily,
   this works well.

I'm skeptical that it actually works well.  If someone replies to an
arbitrary message that gets sent out from savannah, does the message
get to the right place?

    There still is an issue related to mailing lists handled by
   fencepost.  When a user commits changes to cvs, the log_accum script
   send a mail to some mailing list handled by mailman on fencepost. When
   the user that did the commit is not known to fencepost (most users on
   subversions do *not* have a gnu.org account and do not have a gnu.org
   mail), mailman (or exim) rejects the mail.

   There has been a thread on
   that subject, Guillaume proposed that setting the From: line to display
   the actual email address of the user instead of just the user name
   might solve the problem.

I think this would be a very good approach.  (Make sure you set both
the envelope from: and the body from:)

Alternatively, you could tell fencepost that it doesn't handle mail
for savannah.gnu.org (by adjusting fp:/etc/local_mail_domains),
repoint the MX record for savannah.gnu.org to savannah, and make sure
that savannah is listening for SMTP connections and forwarding mail
around appropriately.

I think I favor the former solution, but either strikes me as an
improvement over the status quo.