[Savannah-hackers-public] Project evaluation: ipblock

From: Pelle Hjek
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Project evaluation: ipblock
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 00:29:44 +0100

Hi,

Here is my evaluation of the project called ipblock, which has not been
assigned to anyone yet.

Ipblock automatically downloads country IP block files,
> # Zone data download URL
> DLROOT="http://www.ipdeny.com/ipblocks/data/aggregated";

These files come with a license that clearly forbids distribution and
derivative works,
> IPDENY.COM web site users may NOT reproduce, distribute, or create derivative
> works from this Content without the express written authorization to do so by
> IPDENY.COM
> http://www.ipdeny.com/copyright.php

Therefore ipblock does not meet the Savannah hosting requirements, specifically,
> The package must not refer the user to any nonfree software; in particular,
> it must not automatically download or install any nonfree software.
> http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

An unrelated technical issue is that the gateway router address is hardcoded
into the script, which may not be a good idea,
> # Set gateway router address
> GWAY="192.168.1.1"

Regards,
Pelle