[Savannah-hackers-public] Chef client hitting emacs cgit eterm-color?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Chef client hitting emacs cgit eterm-color?
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 02:58:34 -0700

Anyone know why "Chef Client" is repeatedly hitting this?  (I know
that Chef is a Puppet like tool.)

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/etc/e/eterm-color

I have been staring at the activity and for some reason I am seeing a
lot of "Chef Client" accessing two particular emacs cgit pages
repeatedly.  I think some kind of example recipe has escaped into the
wild and is now causing a lot of traffic.  It isn't to the point of it
breaking anything but it definitely seems unusual.

How many hits in the last day?

  grep /cgit/emacs.git/plain/etc/e/eterm-color /var/log/nginx/access.log | wc -l
    12835

How many unique addresses are hitting that URL?

  grep /cgit/emacs.git/plain/etc/e/eterm-color /var/log/nginx/access.log | awk
'{print$1}' | sort -u | wc -l
    38

Ranking them by unique IP address:

  grep /cgit/emacs.git/plain/etc/e/eterm-color /var/log/nginx/access.log | awk
'{print$1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | awk '{print$1}' | head
     3138
      278
      276
      270
      270
      269
      268
      268
      268
      268

There is one particular IP address that is hitting that link *a lot*
and quite a few others that are hitting it often.  Anyone know
anything about this particular issue?  Does anyone reading this have a
Chef installation that they could look at and see if one of the
example scripts may have escaped and doing this accidentally?

Bob