Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Testing new savannah website (2nd test)

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Testing new savannah website (2nd test)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 02:13:57 +0000

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 12:51:47AM +0000, Assaf Gordon wrote:
The savannah team is testing a new web server as part of the infrastructure upgrade efforts.

More info about what's being tested/fixed:

1.
Savannah's git repository (and PHP code) are now served from
`frontend0:/opt/savannah/savane` (not from `/usr/src/savane`).
Apache's conf still points to `/var/www/savane`, which is
now a symlink to `/opt/savannah/savane`.

2.
The git repository has been sync'd with the recent small
modifications from frontend (such as adding then removing the FSF
fundraising banner). Local changes have been rebased on top of that.
The most up-to-date version (and the one being used
on frontend0) is available here (note the 'sv-test-2017-02-01' branch):
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/log/?h=sv-test-2017-02-01

3.
The following errors (from apache's error log):

PHP Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_HOST in /etc/savane/content/gnu-content/menu.txt on line 37
Are due to bots sending HTTP/1.0 requests without HOST header.
I don't think there's anything to worry about here.
If a real user still uses something that sends HTTP/1.0,
they will just get a slightly incorrect left-side-bar menu item.

4.
The following errors (from apache's error log):

   PHP Notice:  Undefined offset: 1 in
/opt/savannah/savane/frontend/php/include/utils.php on line 1375

Are likely due to unexpected user-agent strings from MSIE clients (it's the code which tries to detect broken MSIE browsers).

The PHP code could be improved, but I think this is low priority.

5.
The following errors (from apache's error log):

   sh: 1: /usr/local/bin/sv_tmpgpg: not found

Are due to a missing savannah script.
It is available in  `/opt/savannah/bin/sv_tmpgpg`. I symlinked it to
`/usr/local/bin`.
( path is hard-coded in http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/administration/savane.git/tree/frontend/php/project/memberlist-gpgkeys.php?h=sv-test-2017-02-01
and I'm not going to change it now).

It requires the `pyme` python package: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyme .
Sadly it's not the same as the pre-built debian package 'python-gpgme',
so installed from source:

   apt-get install libgpgme11-dev swig
   pip install pyme

6.
The following errors (from apache's error log):

   PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: content in
/opt/savannah/savane/frontend/php/include/user_home.php on line 354

Are harmless. They are caused by PHP code such as:

   unset($content);
   for ($i=0; $i<5; $i++) {
     $content .= "something";
   }

The PHP code can be improved but that's low priority.

7. (from previous test on Jan-28)
Separated apache log files for each domain:

   /var/log/apache2$ ls -1 *access*.log
   http_savannah_gnu_org.access.log
   http_savannah_nongnu_org.access.log
   https_savannah_gnu_org.access.log
   https_savannah_nongnu_org.access.log
   other_vhosts_access.log

It's messy but otherwise debugging redirections (http->https and gnu<->nongnu) is a PITA. This can be reverted later (or ignored if we switch to nginx).
The `/etc/apache2/sites-available/vhosts-{gnu,nongnu}.org` files contain
the `CustomLog` directives.