[Savannah-hackers-public] New VMs status update - 2016-08-15

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] New VMs status update - 2016-08-15
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 17:25:11 -0600

Savannah Hackers,

Quick update on the new VMs.

Host mgt0: Done and ready to go.  I am using it as the lilypad machine
and administration host for accessing the other systems.

Host internal0: I think this one is done and ready to go.  Although it
hasn't been transitioned to yet.  It needs ones last data sync and
then download, frontend, and vcs need their mysql configs pointed to
it.  Unfortunately I see no easy way to test this before doing it
live on vcs and download.

Host frontend0: The system is ready to go.  Assaf and I had a good
sprint getting the web frontend setup on it.  Unfortunately we have
stalled chasing down how the menu.txt file is invoked.  That creates
the error presently seen in the lower left navigation area.  Fixing
that needs to be done first.  That might be the last PHP error left.
Or there might be other PHP errors still to find.

Host vcs0: A small VM good for developing is online.  I have worked
through the details of the iptables and other similar system issues.
I have set up NFS between the new vcs0 and the old vcs.  It is ready
for more forward progress.  I just got things to this point today a
few minutes ago.

Host download0: A small VM good for developing is online.  I have
worked through the details of the iptables and other similar system
issues.  I have set up NFS between the new download0 and the old
download.  It is ready for more forward progress.  I just got things
to this point today a few minutes ago.

Let's Encrypt certificates via certbot is set up on frontend0 using my
way of running certbot as a non-root non-priviledged user.  It is
non-standard in that it isn't the way the EFF documents the process.
But it is much safer running it as a non-root user.  This needs to be
set up on vcs0 and download0 too.  Soon.

I haven't tuned up the nfsd on the vcs and download server side.  They
are operating in small mode.  Good enough for now.  Same thing on the
client side.

Both download0 and vcs0 will need scaling up before they can go into
production.  That is easy if there is ram and cpus available and only
takes a reboot to activate.  Until then they are good for our setup
use.

The next significant to-do items are:

* Fix the menu.txt navigation area PHP error on the web frontend0.

* Set up now mainstream AuthorizedKeysCommand process on vcs0 and
  download0 replacing the previous custom patches.

Bob