Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] SavannahHosts r212

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] SavannahHosts r212
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 16:50:09 -0600

Karl Berry wrote:
> Bob writes:
>     +* Are people using download for a pserver?  There are notes to that
>     +  effect in the download /etc/default/iptables-rules file.
>
> locate /CVS/ on download tells me there is a CVS repository for
> audio-video (nothing else).  Whether it is still used, have to ask
> "them" (whoever "they" are nowadays :).  -k

It is more crazy than that.  In the download
/etc/default/iptables-rules file I find this:

  *nat
  :PREROUTING ACCEPT
  :POSTROUTING ACCEPT
  :OUTPUT ACCEPT
  # Forward cvspserver connections to vcs-noshell
  # FIXME: are people really using download.savannah.gnu.org for pserver?
  -A PREROUTING -d 208.118.235.73 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2401 -j DNAT
--to-destination 208.118.235.72
  COMMIT

That is DNAT relaying the connection to download over to vcs.  I think
that means there isn't any pserver possible to be running on download
but that connections to download are transparently using vcs instead.

I don't think that is a desirable configuration.  I don't think we
want to continue it.  But I listed it as a "huh, what?" when I saw
that.  I think we should definitely not continue it and then deal with
any pserver connections as needed.

Bob