Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Email on fencepost hosed?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Email on fencepost hosed?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 09:52:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:43:31 -0600
> From: Bob Proulx <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > It looks like email delivery on fencepost is not working for the last
> > several hours.  My inbox is empty (which is unreasonable, since I see
> > traffic on mailing lists to which I'm subscribed, like
> > address@hidden),
>
> I just sent a test to myself on fencepost and it is working fine for
> me.

Later messages indicate that you did this after the problem was
already solved.

> > and SMTP connections to fencepost are refused.
>
> That is normal.  Mail for @gnu.org addresses are received by eggs.
>
>   host -t mx gnu.org
>     gnu.org mail is handled by 10 eggs.gnu.org.
>
> After eggs receives it the message is relayed on internally.

I'm not an expert, but my mail is set up according to instructions
here:

  https://www.fsf.org/about/systems/sending-mail-via-fencepost

which explicitly say:

  SMTP server: fencepost.gnu.org

So I'm not sure I understand the "normal" part.  What did I miss?

> > Could someone please look into this, or at least update
> > https://pumprock.net/fsfstatus with information about what's going on?
>
> None of us here have anything to do with admining fencepost, lists, or
> the pumprock fsfstatus page.  That is only the FSF admins.  And of
> course the way to reach them is with a mail to address@hidden  They
> keep a tight lock on access to all of those things.  So even if things
> were really messed up and broken all we could do is comiserate with
> each other about it.

Please trust me that I started by sending email to address@hidden as
soon as I saw the problem.  I posted here after seeing that nothing
happened for several hours after my mail.  Without a good
understanding of the gnu.org email delivery, I couldn't know whether
my email at all reached the addressee (and I specifically said that in
my message posted here).

If there's nothing else to do in these cases but simply wait for
someone to detect the problem, then I think we have a weakness in the
setup that should perhaps get some attention.  What else could I have
done to speed up the correction of the problem?  (Or maybe there are
already instructions how to behave in these situations, and I just
missed them?)

Thanks.