Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:37:35 +0200

Bob Proulx <address@hidden> skribis:

> There are 293 versions checked in.  Which means that pretty much every
> version is a complete copy of the file since line based diffs are
> saved and there is only one line.  That isn't going to be
> sustainable.  The actual root error is this one.

Ouch, I didn’t know CVS was this bad.  Sorry that it causes problems!

I can change the program that generates it to include newlines, but we’d
still have to remove history.  Would it help?

> But I wanted to say that Assaf Gordon has spent a significant amount
> of time trying to improve the web page system on the savannah.gnu.org
> side of things.  Primarily to enable use of git for web page updates.

What about providing rsync/ssh access like for nongnu.org?  After all,
HTML pages that get displayed are often not source nowadays, so people
could use a separate repo for the source and simply rsync the HTML.

> But there are limits to what we can do on our (savannah) side of
> things.  Presently his efforts are waiting for help on the fsf.org
> side of things.  The improvements are stuck until more resources are
> available to help there.

:-(

> My feedback is that something different needs to be done for this
> index.html page.  I don't want to suggest something without thinking
> about it.  I might suggest something worse!  But the first thought I
> had was that this needs some kind of dedicated status page.  This
> shouldn't really be checked into cvs.  This looks to be some type of
> real time dynamically created status page that shows the information
> you want.  I would put this on a different location entirely.  Perhaps
> a dedicated page?  That seems like the way it should go.  If you want
> to have it displayed right where it is displayed then an <iframe> can
> be used to place it there.
>
> How is the data on that page generated?

Using
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/www/packages.scm>.

Can www.gnu.org host such pages at all?  It’s clear that CVS is a
hindrance for such purposes so if there’s another possibility, I’m all
for it!  :-)

Thank you,
Ludo’.