Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:23:38 -0600

Hello Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> It seems the www CVS server is currently in a bad shape:

> $ cvs up index.html
> cvs [update aborted]: Could not map memory to RCS archive
> /web/guix/guix/packages/index.html,v: Cannot allocate memory

This is a long running resource problem with vcs.  The outside world
can sometimes overwhelm the machine with too many things happening.
The FSF has informed us that new hardware is very soon to be
available.  But as of yet we don't have it yet.  And frankly there is
no guarentee that the new hardware will be sufficient yet.  I worry it
won't be enough.

Looking at the system right now (Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:20:54 -0600)
things look fine.  But I don't doubt that it had failed for you
because there are frequent droppouts.  And unfortunately when it drops
out the Munin data isn't able to record either.

> Ideas?

My only advice is patience.  Please feel free to post to us here and
let us know when it isn't working.  Including a timestamp so that we
know when to look in logs.  But at this point all we can really do is
wait for the load to subside and try again.

Bob