Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Quote from Savannah regarding GNU Ethical

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Quote from Savannah regarding GNU Ethical Repository Criteria for Announcement
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 23:05:27 -0400

Hello Andrew,

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 15:30, Andrew Ferguson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Why is it important that Savannah passes the ethical repository criteria?

As stated on the Savannah website (
https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php ):
"The space given to you on this server is given for the expressed purpose of
advancing free software that can run in free operating systems, documenting
such software, or creating free educational textbooks".
With this policy, we ensure code hosted on Savannah promote the GNU philosophy
( http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html ) .

more details about specific issues relating to the 'ethical repository
criteria' can be found on the Savannah Wiki pages:
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/ProjectApproval/
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/GnuGplTwoOrLater/
  http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/LicensingRequirements/

You are welcomed to quote text from those resources as well.

> What advice would you give to other code hosting repositories that have not
> passed the criteria and / or do not view it as something important?
>
> Why are the issues raised in the criteria important and / or relevant today
> for users of code repository services?
>
> Any other comments you have about Savannah and the ethical repository
> criteria?

I humbly think Savannah is currently in no position to give advice or
suggestions to other hosting services.

regards,
  - assaf