Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah website synchronization script br

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah website synchronization script broken and potential workarounds.
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:09:47 -0500

Hello Chris and all,

On 02/22/2016 01:16 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Dear Savannah Hackers, and GNU.org sysadmins,

In the public ticket 108855 I raise the issue that the synchronization
script between Savannah and the GNU.org website is broken.

https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?108855

Every 6 months for a glibc update we remove the old manual, build a new
manual, and install the new manual. Since we started this process the
sync script has always gotten something wrong. It looks like a concurrency
issue where the old removal is still running while the new update arrives
and what is left is a big mess.

We have two solutions:

(a) Fix the sync script to work properly.

Just today Bob Proulx worked with Lisa (FSF-Admin) to fix a related issue:
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2016-02/msg00057.html
 https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108977

I hope this will improve the situation with glibc's website as well.

but if not:

(b) Operate on different directories.
[....]
Does anyone see any problem with (b)? I haven't tried it yet, but will
do so shortly.

You can certainly try creating a new document directory.
If the problem is in removing/replacing the old files on the gnu.org web-server
side, this might be a 'quick & dirty' solution that will work for now.

We are in the (slow) process of improving the savannah infrastructure, and I
hope that in the somewhat-near future we'll be able to improve the web-pages
update mechanism.

regards,
 - assaf