Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide about the acceptability of a

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide about the acceptability of a project name
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 16:24:20 GMT

    However, I want to make sure I'm applying it the way it is intended

We inserted that precisely for the cases like the one at hand:
too-generic and/or too-short identifiers.  Although we shouldn't be
overly finicky about it, it's also a disservice to everyone (including
the project author) to accept undescriptive names.

    Should I decide if a name is acceptable or not just judging by
    common sense and my sole viewpoint?

Yes, that's fine, though of course also feel free to ask when you're
dubious but don't feel completely sure, as you are here.

    To contextualize, the task #13802[0] is the submission of a project
    named simply "chat".  It's not reasonably descriptive,
    [0] https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?13802

I agree with you, especially when the code is not working and thus has
zero users.  "foopl" would seem like the obvious identifier here.
(Didn't check if it's available, though.)

best,