Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Submission of Wine programs

From: Aljosha Papsch
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Submission of Wine programs
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:54:02 +0200

Hi Savannah hackers,

Am So, 27. Sep, 2015 um 12:15 schrieb Karl Berry <address@hidden>:
    What's the policy about accepting programs that run on Wine?  I'm
    asking this because of the submission:
    https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?13750

I don't recall the question being explicitly asked before.

It seems to me that even if a program runs under Wine, in practice a
package that works only in a Windows environment of whatever kind will
necessarily induce people to use Windows -- thinking that people will go
install wine just to run such a package seems delusionary to me.
Therefore I conclude the submission should not be accepted.
We have certainly rejected Windows-only submissions in the past.

That's my opinion.  If you want to get an official ruling,
address@hidden is the place to ask.  --karl

Another compelling reason to reject Windows/Wine only software is that building those packages is unreasonably hard or even impossible with free software. One example is HeidiSQL. It is released as free software, with a big source code button on the download page[0]. Though, when I download it I only find build information files for some proprietary build program. This indicates that GNU/Linux "support" via Wine (as mentioned on the download page) is only an afterthought.

Best regards,
Aljosha Papsch

[0] http://www.heidisql.com/download.php