Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Question about Savane API

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Question about Savane API
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:30:33 -0400

Hello Troye,

On 09/25/2014 10:16 PM, socketpro wrote:
Savane's API seems to make a system group (like adduser/addgroup(8) )
with the same name as each project. This means, a 'savane' project
will create a 'savane' system group on the system. If that is how it
is, then each system can only have say, a few thousand projects, or
40,000 projects. Any hackers out there can confirm this?

Yes, each project in the GNU Savannah website (and internal database) gets its
own unix group.

There are about ~3600 registered project/groups on GNU Savannah,
and on some Savannah servers there are ~3600 unix groups ( e.g. on "vcs", see
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SavannahArchitecture/  , checked with "getent passwd | wc
-l" ).

So to have say 250,000 thousand projects under one "org", you will
need a Savane install with a couple of brother sites? This is so
weird it made me chuckle. It took me a time to realize this after
reading the source code.

As GNU Savannah currently hosts less than 4000 projects (accumulated over ~14
years), 250K projects seems far away to be an immediate concern.
Remember that the hosting model for GNU Savannah is different than other code hosting
services: users can't "just create" their own projects - each project must be
approved.
For better or for worse, this approach (and perhaps other issues) does reduce
the number of projects hosted here.

But more to the point - are you concerned about GroupID/UserID limits ?
While I'm not an expert about this matter, I do believe most modern GNU/Linux
machines the UID/GID variables are 32-bit, raising the theoretical limit above
~60000 (the expected limit when using only 16-bit).

Regards,
 - Assaf