Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Porting savane from PHP to Perl on version

From: socketpro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Porting savane from PHP to Perl on version 3.1-cleanup
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 21:13:57 -0400

11.09.2014, 19:46, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>:
> taj,
>
> Thank you for your work.  Wow.
>
> Before I write more, let me ask this: what is your overall interest in
> Savannah?  Did you just want me to make these changes, or did you want
> to be involved in an ongoing way, handling user requests, working on the
> infrastructure, etc.?
>
> Regards,
> Karl

Yes you can commit the source code. I'll sign over licenses and code, etc, if
needed.

My interest in Savannah was to create some software distribution point like
Freecode or SourceForge. Freecode has been shutdown to new packages. And
SourceForge has lost its heritage. So I took a look at the only good free
software component that can fulfill that. One look at the source code and I
could see that it needed work. So I got to work.

I would like to do support, add code, work on infrastructure, user requests,
and such related things.

The only bad thing about Savannah is that the front-end is written in PHP. I
prefer Perl to do that job. PHP if more of a macro language than a programming
language like Perl. Savannah.pm just needs CGI.pm and a "light application API"
to replace PHP front-end. Then Savane can run on other httpds, databases like
Postgres or even Oracle etc, because PHP if the only thing tying Savane to
MySQL.

I did some update work on the build system and changed some one lines in some
.php files. Now it can run "out of the box" on most GNU/Linux systems.