Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running GNU Savannah (frontend) locally

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Running GNU Savannah (frontend) locally
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 21:49:35 GMT

Hi Assaf,

    1. Hacking on the GNU Savannah code itself will be easier, and more
    inviting.
    2. Bringing the current Savannah code up-to-date.
    3. Examining the current databases as preparation for migration to a
    new platform.

All those are unquestionably (IMO) valid arguments, but don't speak to
making a database dump *publicly* available.  Available on the Savannah
machines would be enough for those purposes.

    4. Allowing interested people to explore the GNU Savannah public
    data (which is already public), develop new useful features, and
    finding new interesting statistics.

Ok, that could be persuasive.

    As I've written in the previous email, I consider "public" only
    information that's available to non-logged users.

That sounds very sensible to me.

    I agree that there is a technical differences between making an
    interested user jump through web-parsing hoops, and between
    providing an SQL-based database which allows simple queries.  But
    there is no conceptual difference.  The information is already out
    there.

I agree there is no conceptual difference, and I also agree there is an
important technical difference.

    Are the SQL commands I've listed in the previous emails adequate for
    removing private information?

As Sylvain said, it still seems much better to me, in principle, to
extract only the public information than delete the private.  Better to
err on the side of less being included.
select from bugs where privacy=0 or whatever ...

thanks,