Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [Savannah-users] file size and traffic lim

From: adrelanos
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [Savannah-users] file size and traffic limits?
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:18:35 +0000

Karl Berry:
>     How much traffic can you handle?  Next Whonix version has ~3 GB file
>     size and the current version has ~1000 downloads per week and who
>     knows how many people will try it out when next version is
>     announced. It is still hosted on sourceforge and before I upload it
>     to savannah, I wanted to ask if you can handle the load.
>
> Most definitely not!  We can't undertake to be a principal distribution
> (or hosting) point for a whole distro.

Ok, I won't do then.

> I was under the impression from
> your submission that we were just going to host your build scripts,
> documentation, etc.,

Not sure how I created that impression. Sorry if I did so. I think,
originally I came because you are savannah offers direct download links. :)

> which we are glad to do.

Thanks.

> I can't find it now, sigh, but there used to be some statement in the
> requirements about how we cannot host whole distros, we just don't have
> those kind of resources.

Ok.

> It's possible that the FSF could do it, on another machine, independent
> of Savannah.  Most of the free distros are mirrored there.  Please see
> http://mirror.fsf.org/ and email address@hidden to follow up.

I don't think it will be possible. They have a quite firm policy
(Guidelines for Free System Distributions) and if Debian didn't manage
to fulfill it, surely Whonix can't either.

In theory, an option could be to base Whonix on a distribution which is
on that list already, but that might not be doable for technical reasons.