Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki update on commit

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] ikiwiki update on commit
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 21:35:50 GMT

Hi Aljoscha,

    Additionally, I don't see Savannah.css changing regularly or at all, so
    imo it won't hurt having a seperate CSS file.

Well, we can change Savannah.css whenever we want, and it could include
everything needed for the ikiwki.  But never mind, let's proceed with
local.css.  It is cleaner in its own way.

    Savannah.css uses "arial,helvetica", which are sans-serif fonts.

Oh.  I hadn't noticed that.  That setting is much worse than your
proposed sans-serif, and I will immediately remove the references to
those nonfree fonts.

I'll state it more strongly than I did before: I see absolutely no
reason for Savannah to override the user's font choice.  Users know what
works for them.

    https://savannah.gnu.org/my/groups.php
    https://savannah.gnu.org/my/

Well, there is no underlining on those pages in my browser.
I suspect we are using different Savannah themes.

Anyway, I have no major objection to the underline, it just seemed
extraneous since I'd never seen them.

    How about a left border then, like some MUAs do it?

Maybe.  Like I said, it's not just about email.
I guess I'll have to see where and how blockquote is being used.

    This is a semantic mistake, and should be avoided, imho.  If we are
    going to keep the mistake,

Yes, we're going to keep the "mistake" (I don't agree with that
characterization, but never mind, let's not waste time debating it).  It
would be insane to hack ikiwiki code to avoid <blockquote>.

    I would keep a slight tone (maybe #ffffdd).

Ok, I'll try it.

Thanks,
Karl