Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] A wasteland of a wiki

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] A wasteland of a wiki
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 21:39:51 GMT

Hi Aljoscha,

We can't copy from the old wiki.  That's the whole problem (well, the
biggest part of it, anyway).  At least I don't know how.
Michael is the only one who knows and he is clearly too busy to deal
with this, since it's been many months since the wiki crack.

I once took the time to trace the wiki back to the actual savannah host
and directory where it was hosted, and it was not in any kind of format
I could deal with.  Unfortunately I didn't write it down (couldn't
update the wiki :) and of course have no memory of the details any more.
Maybe you (or someone) could do that and we could proceed from there?  I
just have too many other commitments right now to deal with this.

    We have to get the information back online.

Everyone completely agrees and has ever since the wiki was cracked, but
no one has made progress on actually recovering it.

If someone (you? Ryan? anyone?) wants to set up ikiwiki (or some other
software -- we could discuss) on savannah, that would IMHO be another
useful thing to do, independent of (and prerequisite to) actually adding
content.  As long as we have been dead in the water for X months, I
suggest it would be a good time to take this opportunity to move to a
different wiki software.

To me, neither losing everything that has been written nor updating
starting from the garbage that is in the wiki now is a viable way to
proceed.  OTOH, I am not the boss.  Whatever the consensus is.