Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah VM system upgrades

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah VM system upgrades
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:37:08 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> There is a problem left unresolved yet.  Michael and I were chatting
> on IRC about the problem.  Here is a summary of the issue.
>
> The user accounts in /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow are
> managed through a sysync process.  The intent is to manage added
> accounts across the collection of VMs.
>
> This comes into conflict with users created by packages when they are
> installed.  A package is installed and creates a new local account for
> a pseudo user.  Then the sysync management process removes this
> unmanaged account.  Then another package is installed and creates
> another local pseudo account and reuses the same uids.  This causes
> several packages to have the same pseudo users with duplicated uids.
> Some duplicated uids are problematic and need to be fixed on mgt.
>
> At the moment we don't have a solution.  Yet.  It is the next thing to
> figure out.  I am thinking that sysync should be modified to ignore
> accounts less than a specified min configured value.  But ideas are
> still flowing.  More on this later.  It needs to be solved to finish
> the cleanup and before we work through the other VMs.

There was some more discussion concerning this and we decided that for
the moment we would suspend the operation of the sysync process until
we figure out the best way to deal with the above problem.  So for the
moment the system sync is suspended.  This enables us to proceed
onward through the rest of the VMs.

As a final bit of stuff on mgt I am going to check the current system
user accounts to make sure those are okay and fix any that are not.
Then give the VM a reboot to the kernel that was installed.  The
previous reboot was very quick and I expect this one to be too.

Bob