[Savannah-hackers-public] making sure I don't damage a git repo

From: Aharon Robbins
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] making sure I don't damage a git repo
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:47:02 +0200

Hi All.

I had a developer withdraw from my project without notice, and he deleted
two branches that he was working on from the main repo on Savannah.

I have copies of those branches on my personal system and want to push
them back up.

$ git branch -a
  array-iface
  cmake
* gawk-4.0-stable
  gawk-stable
  long-double
  master
  num-handler
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/array-iface
  remotes/origin/cmake
  remotes/origin/gawk-2.10-from-net
  remotes/origin/gawk-4.0-stable
  remotes/origin/gawk-stable
  remotes/origin/long-double
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/nolibtool
  remotes/origin/num-handler

The branches in question are num-handler and long-double.

I did some experimenting on some test repos, and I believe that all I
need to do is

        git push origin num-handler     # and likewise for long-double

and then things will be back in sync.

My question is - what mechanisms are in place to recover the main repo
as it is now, in case I screw something up?

Much thanks,

Arnold Robbins
Gawk Maintainer