[Savannah-hackers-public] xinetd/anonymous-git hosed again? restarted xi

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] xinetd/anonymous-git hosed again? restarted xinetd and all's well
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:05:49 +0200

I noticed that anonymous git operations were failing (yet again!):

    $ git fetch

    and the repository exists.
    [Exit 1]

And not just once or twice.  It failed 20+ times over several minutes.

Poking around on git.sv.gnu.org, I see the same problem:

    address@hidden telnet localhost git
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to vcs.savannah.gnu.org.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    [Exit 1]

I did see xinetd running as well as over 150 git-upload-pack processes:

    address@hidden ps auxww|grep -c git.uplo
    157

Some date back to July(!):

    nobody   11305  0.0  0.0   3136   400 ?        S    Jul27   0:00 git
upload-pack --strict --timeout=0 .

Solution: restarted xinetd.  (twice, since the first time it failed to restart)

    service xinetd restart

and now all's well.

PS. I've killed all git-upload-pack processes started before October,
so now we're down to 29.