Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:34:14 -0800

    Should we accept software targeted for Android in GNU
    Savannah?.  Currently there is https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?11659

I am not sure.  On the one hand, fsf.org has a page about free software
on Android:
http://www.fsf.org/working-together/next-steps/free-software-for-android.
That would imply it is ok for us to host such free software projects.

On the other hand, rms's essay
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html) concludes
Android remains effectively nonfree.  Which implies we shouldn't do any
hosting.

I guess I will ask Brett and see if he can advise us.

    I have formerly approved similar projects

Regardless of what happens in the future, I would feel very bad about
kicking out previously-approved projects due to our mistake, especially
in such a borderline case of this.  I don't think we've ever done that
and I don't think we should start.

Thanks,
karl