Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah

From: Tomasz Konojacki
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Projects for Android in GNU Savannah
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:35:45 +0100

> By the way, is it allowed to depend on a gratis web service which is
> not Free software, such as the Google Maps API? I know the issue has
> come up before but I don't quite remember how it was solved.

This is Karl's response to this issue:

Date sent:                   Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:42:42 GMT
From:                         address@hidden (Karl Berry)
To:                            address@hidden
Copies to:                  address@hidden
Subject:                     Re: [Savannah-hackers-private] Should this project be accepted?

    There is submission of project Lithionite -
    https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?11403 Althrough it doesn't depend on
    non-free software, its only purpose is playing streams using propertiary
    protocol. Do we allow such kind of projects?

Good question.  I think it is ok.  The author here is *implementing* a
way of playing those flash streams using free software (mplayer and
rtmpdump), so that people do not have to use the usual Adobe proprietary
plugin.  (If I'm understanding his software correctly.)

Of course we'd rather the radio stations not use Flash in the first
place, but since it exists, having free software to deal with it is a
good thing.

Thanks,

Regards