[Savannah-hackers-public] many messages missing from mail archives

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] many messages missing from mail archives
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 01:01:32 GMT

Hello sysadmins,

Unfortunately, it seems that messages are occasionally going missing
from the archives on lists.gnu.org, even though they are being
delivered.

Here is the example I have the most data for:
on Wed 10 Aug 2011 03:28:00 AM PDT, Shailesh posted comment #8 on a
savannah ticket,  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107667#comment8.
This was received by me (and others) in email -- I will attach the
text.  It was Message-Id: <address@hidden>.

However, looking at the thread index:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2011-08/threads.html
it does not appear (the thread, "CLISP: Permission denied"), is about
halfway down the page.  All other comments in the thread are there,
including several from Shailesh.

Looking at the date index, for August 10:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2011-08/index.html
Shailesh's message is also not there.  (The message from him on August
11 is the next one, comment #9.)

Bizarrely, it apparently did not reach mail-archive.com, either.
It would be the next message from comment #7,
but it jumps to comment #9, like our thread index, even though
address@hidden is subscribed to savannah-hackers.
I don't get that.

It is also not in the mbox archive,
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/savannah-hackers.mbox.

Shailesh reposted his comment exactly, as comment #11, to test if it
would reach the archives this time.  It did.  So, as one might guess, it
is not about the content but about something happening at the time of
the mail processing.

Now, the worst part: a Google search shows thousands of missing
messages, past and present, even discounting google's overcounting of
results and the likelihood that some of them are just threading
computations going wrong.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Alists.gnu.org+threads.html+"message+not+available"&oq=site%3Alists.gnu.org+threads.html+"message+not+available"&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=19750l21000l0l21202l13l9l0l0l0l6l222l1231l2.6.1l9l0

Help?

Thanks,
Karl