[Savannah-hackers-public] syslog on vc

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] syslog on vc
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:54:46 GMT

Yay for fixing ssh propagation, thanks.

A smallish point this time.

I see many messages from cvs in my ssh on vcs:

    Message from address@hidden at Mon Aug 15 20:19:00 2011 ...
    vcs cvs: error (1, 0) called recursively.  Second message was:
    Message from address@hidden at Mon Aug 15 20:19:00 2011 ...
    vcs cvs: Aborting.

This seems like utterly useless noise to me.  I am guessing it comes
from this entry in /etc/syslog.conf:

daemon.*;mail.*;\
        news.err;\
        *.=debug;*.=info;\
        *.=notice;*.=warn       |/dev/xconsole

Why /dev/xconsole is sending to my pty (/dev/pts/1), I have no idea, but
unless these are miscategorized as *.emerg messages I don't see anything
else in syslog.conf that would be sending it.

The messages are recorded in /var/log/daemon.log.
Can we get rid of them from the console?

Thanks,
Karl