Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] loggerhead ideas?

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] loggerhead ideas?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:40:52 +0100

On 3/22/2011 12:27 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
>      - installed from source or package? If the former, upgrading is easy,
>     if the latter ...
>
> Apparently source.  The last notes from Sylvain that I can find say this:
>
> # loggerhead
> cd /usr/src/
> wget
> http://launchpad.net/loggerhead/1.6/1.6.1/+download/loggerhead-1.6.1.tar.gz
> mkdir /var/log/apache2/loggerhead/
> chown www-data: /var/log/apache2/loggerhead/
> aptitude install python-paste python-pastedeploy python-simpletal
> python-configobj
> su www-data - -c "/usr/bin/serve-branches --host=127.0.0.1 /srv/bzr
> --prefix=/lh > /var/log/apache2/loggerhead/debug.log 2>
> /var/log/apache2/loggerhead/access.log"&
>
> The above appears to be how it was installed in a previous incarnation.
> I see nothing to indicate there is any loggerhead installation on the
> current host.  (Things got wiped/reinstalled after the savannah
> "Compromise2010".)
>
> (sv admins: for the record, I'm getting this from infra/bzr.txt.)
>
>      - running as a listening service (e.g. serve-branches) or a mod_wsgi
>     site in apache/nginx/whatever
>
> Apparently serve-branches, per above.  I see nothing to indicate
> mod_wsgi is being used.

I think you'll also want "python-simplejson". But otherwise the above
should be fine. 'serve-branches' still exists in newer versions.

Certainly if it makes things easier for you, we can go ahead and package
the current loggerhead code so you can get a released version. There
just hasn't been much push to do so, since Launchpad runs from a source
branch. (As do many smaller installations from what I can tell.)

>      - running on a single server & domain, or more complexly (e.g. spread
>     across static + dynamic hosts, load balancing/HA configuration etc?)
>
> Single server.  (An internal xen host off savannah.)
>
>      - how are the branches mapped to? local disk? http backend with
>     mapping logic? apache hintoffs?
>
> Local disk as far as I know.
>
>     Few things have changed in loggerhead affect these variables, except:
>      - bzrlib dependencies
>      - serve-branches is deprecated/deleted in favour of bzr serve --http
>
> The bzr we have was apparently installed from a package:
> aptitude install -t etch-backports bzr
>
>   $ bzr --version
>   Bazaar (bzr) 2.0.3
>     Python interpreter: /usr/bin/python 2.5.2
>     Python standard library: /usr/lib/python2.5
>     Platform: Linux-2.6.26-2-xen-686-i686-with-debian-5.0.8
>     bzrlib: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib
>     Bazaar configuration: /root/.bazaar
>     Bazaar log file: /root/.bzr.log
>     [...]
>
> So ... where to go next?
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

I missed the start of this conversation, but from what I've gleaned, you
are trying to set loggerhead up again from scratch? I'm also around in
European times. So from 11:00UTC to about 18:00UTC, and I'll certainly
be around #bzr on IRC during that time.

I think it would be useful (though not critical) to update to a newer
bzr version. And then from there, we can try to make sure there is a
loggerhead version you can install.

I'm honestly not entirely sure how loggerhead defaults to being
installed, since I always run it from source in
~/.bazaar/plugins/loggerhead.

John
=:->