RE: [avrdude-dev] Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements ina

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements inavrdude
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:49:08 -0600

We understand that there are hosting requirements for a project on Savannah. I
don't even think that we have objections to them, even if we find one or two of
them a bit silly, and that overall we would be willing to comply in some
manner.

I do think that there are several other issues here that need to be addressed:

1. Identify who you are. I don't this Mario person at all. It would be helpful
if he identified who he is, what organization is he from, and what the purpose
of the email. Otherwise he comes across as every other opinionated person in
the public, who would be duly ignored if he communicated that way.

2. Try to have reasonably good English. If you're an admin, and speaking as an
authority from some group, then it is helpful to have at least decent spelling.
I understand that English is not everyone's first language; I regularly work on
many free and open source projects with people from all around the world with
varying degrees of command of the language. But with that many spelling errors
in the email, I was beginning to wonder if this was a troll.

3. Be specific. One should read Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the Smart
Way": <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>. If you're going to tell
us that something is wrong with the project, then please be specific as to what
is wrong so we don't have to play "20 questions" to guess where it is at. Like
all volunteer developers our time is always limited, and the more detailed you
can be, the easier it is for us to fix it. Or maybe if someone is really
motivated, patches are always welcome. ;-)

4. Which brings me to my next point: DO NOT GO AND CHANGE ANYTHING ON THE
PROJECT WITHOUT PERMISSION! This was *way over the line* and heavy-handed. The
point is to communicate with us first! Give us time to work out the issues and
get things fixed. If you come across as a dictator, then that makes us feel
like our project is not welcome, and we *will* move elsewhere.

Bottom line: If you are unreasonable, then it gives us no incentive to be
reasonable back. If you are reasonable, we will work towards fixing any
perceived problems.

Eric Weddington