Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Bad approved projects

From: Sebastian Gerhardt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Bad approved projects
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:23:41 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 18:28 -0600, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:

> Project boswars (stratagus-bos) uses savannah only for the tracker as
> SVN and releases repository are outside, calls the operating system
> "Linux", is GNU GPL 2 only, haven't the appropiate licencing
> information, etc...  Is a clear violation of the hosting requirements.
>
> I was unable to find accurate information about the project
> appovation, all I know is from this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg05556.  Was
> approved in early 2003 (Without source code yet)
> On boswars is quite obious I should make a warring, but wath happens
> if they ignore the warring?  The project is deleted? and wath to do on
> those void projects?.

>From what I can tell, the review process and the hosting requirements
were more lax in earlier years. This is only natural if you consider
that a project like Savannah needs to gain experience first. So this is
why there are quite a lot of old projects which would not have a chance
of approval were they reviewed today.

Now the question is, I suppose, what do we do with old projects that
fall out of compliance when we extend our hosting requirements?
Also, what do we do with with projects that are obviously dead?

I assume this is a problem not only Savannah but every project hosting
platform has to deal with (lots of deads projects on SourceForge too
AFAIC).

In my opinion it is OK to remove obviously abandoned (and empty!)
projects. I don't know what to do with projects that do not meet
the hosting reqs any longer because we changed them either.
Last but not least it is also a question if we find people with time to
do this, in addition to doing reviews and website maintenance.

Best,
Sebastian