Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 10:11:06 -0500

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:46:23 +0100
Sebastian Gerhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 18:29 -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>
> > It also leads to
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/HowToGetYourProjectApprovedQuickly.
> > which although is explicitly not the hosting policy, is more detailed
> > and useful than the actual policy for submitters, it seems to me.  I've
> > never been sure what to do about this discrepancy, but it's always
> > seemed troublesome to me.  Sigh.  Separate issue, I know.
>
> Who was it who introduced and wrote the Savannah requirements? I'd like
> to ask this person to resolve that discrepancy.

I think we need to realize that everyone who does anything for savannah
is a volunteer. We can't expect volunteers to come back to improve
things that they did. What we can do is improve it ourselves. I think
that document has not been modified, because we need a complete working
proposal to be made. We could try to consolidate the requirements by
pulling all the resources into a single outline on the wiki and use that
as our proposal.

It seems to me that a lot of work has been done by volunteers in the
wiki, it's just a little disorganized for what we want.

Check http://sv.gnu.org/maintenance/ProjectApproval and its subtopics.

I think there should be a resources section that explains where people
can go to get advice on how to comply. We can not expand too much on
the requirements page. For example, I think a clear copyright and
license notice example would help clarify what we are asking with "or
any later."

--
Nicodemo