[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #498996] Hard-disk failures on co

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #498996] Hard-disk failures on colonialone
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:13:51 +0100

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 07:29:50PM +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As far as the hardware is concerned, I think it is best that we do
> what the FSF sysadmins think is best.
>
> We don't have access to the computer, don't really know anything about
> what it's made of, don't understand the eSATA/internal
> differences. We're even using Xen as you do, to ease this kind of
> interaction. In short, you're more often than not in better position
> to judge the hardware issues.
>

> So:
>
> If you think it's safer to use 4x1.5TB RAID-1, then let's do that.
>
> Only, we need to discuss how to migrate the current data, since
> colonialone is already in production.
>
> In particular, fixing the DNS issues I reported would help if
> temporary relocation is needed.

I see that there are currently 4x 1.5TB disks.

sda 1TB   inside
sdb 1TB   inside
sdc 1.5TB inside?
sdd 1.5TB inside?
sde 1.5TB external/eSATA?
sdf 1.5TB external/eSATA?

Here's what I started doing:

- recreate 4 partitions on sdc and sde (but 2 of them in an extended
  partition)

- added sdc and sdd to the current RAID-1 arrays

  mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdc1
  mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdd1
  mdadm /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdc2
  mdadm /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdd2
  mdadm /dev/md2 --add /dev/sdc5
  mdadm /dev/md2 --add /dev/sdd5
  mdadm /dev/md3 --add /dev/sdc6
  mdadm /dev/md3 --add /dev/sdd6
  mdadm /dev/md0 --grow -n 4
  mdadm /dev/md1 --grow -n 4
  mdadm /dev/md2 --grow -n 4
  mdadm /dev/md3 --grow -n 4

colonialone:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md3 : active raid1 sdd6[4] sdc6[5] sdb4[1] sda4[0]
      955128384 blocks [4/2] [UU__]
      [>....................]  recovery =  0.0% (43520/955128384)
finish=730.1min speed=21760K/sec

md2 : active raid1 sdc5[2] sdd5[3] sdb3[1] sda3[0]
      19534976 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

md1 : active raid1 sdd2[2] sdc2[3] sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      2000000 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

md0 : active raid1 sdd1[2] sdc1[3] sda1[0] sdb1[1]
      96256 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

- install GRUB on sdc and sdd

With this setup, the data is both on the 1TB and the 1.5TB disks.

If you confirm that this is OK, we can:

* extend this to sde and sdf,

* unplug sda+sdb and plug all the 1.5TB disks internaly

* reboot while you are at the colo, and ensure that there's no device
  renaming mess

* add the #7 partitions in sdc/d/e/f as a new RAID device / LVM
  Physical Volume and get the remaining 500GB

Can you let me know if this sounds reasonable?

--
Sylvain