Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] FYI, ran "git gc" on all git repositories

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] FYI, ran "git gc" on all git repositories
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:37:11 +0200

Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 04:27:32PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> cd /vservers/vcs-noshell/srv/git
>>
>> for dir in *.git; do
>
> I guess this doesn't catch Git repositories that are located in
> subfolders: things like hurd/gnumach.git.  Or is the on-disk layout a
> single-hierarchy one?

Hi Thomas,

Good point.
There were more than 40 like that.

I've rerun the script with this (temporarily):

  for dir in $(find . -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name '*.git'); do

and this will get all of them next time:

  for dir in $(find . -maxdepth 2 -name '*.git'); do

> Also, might there be race conditions -- is there some kind of locking
> being employed, so that this GC doesn't collect objects that are
> currently being uploaded but for which no anchoring ref has been created
> yet?  (It may certainly be that this is safe, inherently to the Git
> protocol.)

AFAIK, it's safe.
If you know/learn of any risk, please let us know.

Thanks for the feedback.