[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #429351] Access statistics for Savann

From: Ward Vandewege via RT
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #429351] Access statistics for Savannah
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:23:54 -0400

Hi Alex,

> address@hidden - Mon Sep 28 19:46:22 2009]:
> Due to my (immense) ignorance I didn't even know that projects can be
> reached from project.nongnu.org!

I don't think that form is used very much, for whatever reason. Perhaps
it is undocumented...

> > I think those nongnu-projects files will probably not be very useful
> > because they don't log which hostname the access is from. If you
> want, I
> > can add a field to those files for that purpose. Let us know.
>
> I think it would be nice. If you are sure about some format that
> awstat likes just do it; otherwise let me look into it.

I modified the log format to:

  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/nongnu-projects.log "%v %h %l %u %t \"%r\"
%>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""

It shouldn't be hard to make awstats do the right thing with that by
telling it which fields are which.

> Great. Now as soon as I have some time, let's start awstating those
> logs!

Sounds good. Note that I made a change to the cron script that runs on
nadesico, it will now dump all log files into the same directory but
with names like the following, so as not to overwrite older files:

   nongnu-projects-error.log.20090929

etc.

Thanks,
Ward.