Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] mpeg patent license?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] mpeg patent license?
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 19:08:02 +0200

> I am not certain of how Savannah intends to deal with potential
> patented software.

First, all pieces of software use software patents (in countries where
patents were voted as legal), because almost everything is patented.

Sometimes the GNU project makes a campain against one particular
patent that its holder is enforcing (and not using only for
self-defense against other patents attack). In which case we disallow
hosting a project that makes use of it. The last example was the
compain against the GIF format.

Currently I don't think we have a campain against MPEG but you may ask
RMS to make sure (add a Savannah list in Cc if you do).

--
Sylvain