[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: RPGNU and GNU

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: RPGNU and GNU
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:05:13 -0500

Hi Sylvain,

    Isn't there a problem with 'RPGNU' containing 'GNU' in its name while
    not being a GNU project?

    You took care of the project approval:
    http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?8580

The theory on this (per rms + lawyers) is that although we try to
encourage projects which have `gnu' in their names to become official
GNU projects, if they don't, it's no big deal.  We don't try to insist
or claim rights on "gnu" somehow.

For new projects, as opposed to existing ones, we try even harder, of
course.  In this case, the authors said they'd be re-applying to become
an official GNU project (but, not surprisingly, haven't).  Since it
wasn't that big a deal, I took them at their word and approved them as
nongnu.

Best,
karl