Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide?

From: Sebastian Gerhardt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] How to decide?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:11:13 +0100

Hi Karl,

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 16:50 -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

> Do we really want code explicitly supporting a nonfree library (and only
> that library) hosted on savannah?  That just seems wrong.  Or am I not
> understanding that correctly?

It is not only that library. The developer himself maintains the OpenGL
backend. But he also asks whether other persons will be allowed to
contribute code for a Direct3D backend when project is hosted on
Savannah. He wants to include these contribution into his tree on
Savannah then.

> Generic code that can be retargeted (by other people/packagers, not on
> savannah) to nonfree libraries is one thing.  Specific code that only
> works with nonfree libraries is another.

Yes, but isn't that always the case when one develops code that has also
support for Win32, Cocoa(MacOS-X GUI) beyond standard C runtime?