Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] php and savannah?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] php and savannah?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:56:29 +0100

Hi Karl,

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:01:07PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
> Looking at http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?8900, I find myself wondering
> about hosting typical php projects on savannah since the php license is
> regrettably incompatible with the GPL.  This particular project says
> it's licensed under GPLv[23]+, but it's written in PHP and is a
> web-based thing (unlike the previous one I approved, which just used the
> cmdline php), so at first blush I'm thinking that can't be done.

I don't understand why you make a distinction between command line
applications and web-based applications.

> Sylvain, I know we had a long discussion about this on licensing, but as
> I recall the result was that the PHP license was clearly stated to be
> free but incompatible with the GPL.  Are there other discussions about
> hosting php-based projects on savannah I'm forgetting?  (Most likely. :)

I wrote a summary here:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/PhpIssues

The main issue was not the PHP license itself, it was the fact PEAR
was using it for some of their own independant PHP libraries.  They
now seem to use the mBSD instead, which is a good thing.

Bottom line: I don't see a problem with hosting web-based projects
written in bare PHP (including Savane ;)).

--
Sylvain