[Savannah-hackers-public] openbravo about open

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] openbravo about open
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:39:24 -0500

I am confused about how are we to deal with projects with the word
open in their name. Openbravo suggests using the Sun Java 1.5 runtime
or later. I believe that 1.5 is a non-free dependency, but I am sure
that those wish to use free software will find the OpenJDK jre. Hey, I
said a free alternative that has the word open in it. OpenJDK jre is
in GNewSense so why not?

Why is it that we argue against using the word open, if the dependency
name  has the word open?

There are other projects on Savannah that contain the word Open in
them, granted some of those are derived from another project that has
the word open in its name but there are others that do not. Were those
mistakes?

--
Nicodemo Alvaro
The FSF continues to fight software patents.