Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:41:56 -0600

    I don't know what's best to look for the file. Either check all files
    for bits of existing licenses, or check for a set of widespread file
    names. It nothing is found, show `ls` to the user so she can easily
    check manually?

My suggestion is

1) check if there is a top-level file COPYING and/or LICENSE.  That's
   it.  Yes, people use other names, but they're uncommon.

2) if yes, fine ... although ideally it would also check that the file
   actually contains a (free) license.  (That sounds less than easy,
   unless one of the existing scripts already has a mode for doing it,
   in addition to checking license notices.)

3) if no, then the script will output the failure, and the savannah
   admin is going to have to investigate anyway.  I don't see that
   anything is gained by having the script to do an ls.  It's not like
   this job can be done blindly.

karl